Friday, April 27, 2012

The Raw Milk Factor

First off-I am not a professor, I only have my Bachelors in Education;

and

I am not a great writer ( I drive my husband crazy with my Ohio ism's)

But I want to share things I find important about our nutrition.

I think that what I have study deserves to be posted and discussed.

I tend to jump around sometimes too-I am sorry-my brain thinks too quickly for me:)

So if you forgive my flaws I will proceed:

I have been studying quite a bit on the raw milk factor,
thanks to a friend who has "challenged" me to understand why I chose raw over pasteurized.

In my studies it was interesting to find that in
 Canada it is forbidden to sell any type of raw milk product
they aren't even allowed to buy it in the US and bring it back to Canada.
The law stated that....
" it must be pasteurized to remove alkaline phosphatase activity.  "
So I looked up alkaline phosphatase just to see what it was and what it does
What it is and does:
"Although the actual purpose of the enzyme is still not fully understood, the simple hypothesis, that it is a means for the bacteria to generate free phosphate groups for uptake and use, is supported by the fact that alkaline phosphatase is usually produced by the bacteria only during phosphate starvation and not when phosphate is plentiful."
So two things-they don't fully understand what the purpose of the enzyme is......and  I
wasn't sure what phosphate groups were
So then I looked it up:
"The phosphate group is important in living things in different ways. Firstly, it is an important structural component of nucleotide, which is the basic structural unit of DNA and RNA. Secondly, it is a component of energy-rich molecules, such as ATP. Thirdly, it is also bound to coenzymes like NADP / NADPH involved in anabolic reactions (such as photosynthesis in plants and lipid synthesis in animals). It is also a part of the hydrophilic head of phospholipids in biological membrane."
Alkaline phosphatase is found in all or our cells and our liver, our bones and our tissues.

The phosphate group is important in living things....so how does alkaline phosphatase in raw milk

hurt us?  (I will be studying this out)

If this is something we already produce-why is it harmful? 

Do we trust that God gave a "perfect" micro detail body that can fend for itself? 
We are so quick to listen to govt and not listen to the miracle that God has built into our bodies. 

The lactic acid that is also found in raw milk helps to fight any harmful bacteria! 

"What is generally swept under the rug in discussions about raw milk, however, is the protection given by lactic acid-producing bacteria normally present. In what microbiologists call the principal of Competitive Exclusion, non-pathogenic bacteria like, say, Lactococcus lactis, can actually limit or kill bad bugs like Listeria monocytogenes, responsible for hundreds of illnesses yearly (2).
It seems lactic acid is really hard on the germs that can make us sick if their numbers get too high. Nice system!"  source

Hmmmm.....so all wise God put a protecting acid in this milk-so that humans could consume it.

It is interesting this whole debate over pasteurized milk and raw real milk.

Now I am not claiming to know everything out there about this, and I don't mind a challenging to this view. 

 I also have to disclaim everything in this post. I am not a doctor or a govt official that can tell you to

eat this or that or the other. I cannot be held responsible to your decisions.

But I am a mother who is concerned about the choice of foods out there for my family.

There are so many dangerous foods that we are consuming!
***
God talks about a land full of milk and honey.

 I think that raw milk is okay for my family. 

(they didn't have pasteurization back in the Bible times)


****

"I CAN'T GET MY HANDS ON RAW MILK"

Some may be concerned that they can't get on raw milk-(its illegal in 27 states)

Here is an alternative way to get the least dead milk:
"I think if people can’t get raw milk, the next best thing is pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized) cream diluted with water. The fats are much less prone to damage by pasteurization than the water portion of the milk, and at least the fats in cream have not been homogenized. This is what I did for my family when we could not get raw milk. We used diluted cream on porridge and in cooking. "
~Sally Fallon~

I would love to know what you think about this  subject?

More on this subject to follow.

0 Lovely Comments: