Thursday, August 23, 2007

Discipleship Classes

I have such a privelege to be starting in the discipleship program at church. I am so blessed to two very smart men "in" this class. Pastor- he is teaching this class, has so much wisdom that he has learned over the years-the Holy Spirit has taught him a lot in his walk with the Lord. You can tell that he spends a lot of time in the Bible. My husband is the second man in this class-he is taking the class with me-but when Pastor and Greg get going on the lessons I just can not keep up on taking my notes, there is so much that I want to write down but I can not write that fast. God has really blessed them with their intellegance-God has really given them a lot of wisdom. But, truly to be studying under them,I am going to learn so much!!!

Our first lesson is on the Word of God. It has helped me to understand how important the Word of God should be in my life. It is so true that the Bible is the infallible guide to Christain living, I can always go to the Bible and see what it says. There is always something to be learned from the scripture! Here are some things I learned with this lesson:

Since you are saved by the Word of God, it must be your absolute, infallible guide to tell you how to live. The Bible is God's "owner manual" for your life, and we should treat it as such by reading it daily. God would not save you and call you to serve him without giving you exact instructions, you must go by the book.


The purpose of the Word of God is:
  • To equip us for service: II Timothy 3:16-17 " That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
  • To sustain us- This is illistrated in the Bible as "spiritual food" Luke 4:4
  • Keeps us clean to please God-Psalm 119:9-11

How to learn the Bible by comparing scripture with scripture, and relying on God's Spirit to teach you, not your own intellect. "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God" (I Corinthians 2:9-16) also truth from the Bible is only revealed by the Holy Spirit. Yes, other things like books, tapes and preachers ay be used by God, but as stated before the truth is only revealed by the Holy Spirit.

These things were very enjoyable to learn, this next week we are looking at salvation-we went through the lesson already but in my own study it promises to be exciting. Of course everything in the scriptures is exciting!!

I am really excited about this class. It is a little bit of work but for long term I am sure it will be worth it!

0 Lovely Comments: